Working hours 2
Learn more of the vocabulary to talk about working hours in English:
part-time = to work a part of the day or week
- When I was a student, I had a part-time job in a bar.
- We are looking for a part-time receptionist to work mornings.
to be punctual = to start or arrive at the specified time
- She’s very punctual, always here on time.
- Please be punctual. I don’t want to have to wait for late arrivals.
home working = to work from home rather than going into the office
- Home working misses the social element of going to work.
- Modern technology means that home working has become a real possibility for many people.
time sheet = a record of the numbers of hours worked by an employee
- Fill out this time sheet every day and hand it to your manager on Fridays.
- We no longer have time sheets as this is done automatically by the electronic ID badges.
unsocial hours = hours outside of the normal working week
- Although the hours are rather unsocial, I don’t want a nine to five job.
- Lots of professions work very unsocial hours and don’t necessarily get compensated for it.
to take a break = to stop work for a short time to relax
- You can buy tea or coffee when you take a break.
- Sometimes it’s a good idea to take a break and come back to a job refreshed.
to clock in/out = to record the start or finish time of work on a special machine
- The staff clock in when they arrive and clock out as they leave.
- Flexitime means that everyone has to clock in and out to keep a check on the hours worked.
public holidays = national holidays that are not generally worked
- Your holiday entitlement does not include public holidays like Christmas Day.
- If a public holiday is on a Thursday, many people take the Friday off and have a long weekend.
hourly rate = the salary that is paid per hour of work
- We are paid a considerably higher hourly rate for Sundays or evening work.
- The part-time employees are paid an hourly rate but the permanent staff are paid a fixed salary.
fixed hours = the working hours of an employee do not change or cannot be varied
- The admin staff work fixed hours; nine to five, five days a week.
- As a freelancer, I don’t have any fixed hours but work when the work is there.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?